How to obtain Spanish short stay visa for non-EU citizens

What is a considered a Spanish short stay visa (Schengen uniform visa)?

A short stay visa allows you to enter the Schengen Area for not more than 3 months in a six-month period as of the day of entry from the first entry. The applicable law is the Regulation (EC) nº 810/2009, of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 establishing the Community Code on Visas (Visa Code)

Usually, foreign nationals apply for a short stay visa for tourism, business, assistance to fairs and conferences or education (courses, master´s degree, etc.).

Who should apply for a Spanish short stay visa?

Citizens who are not nationals of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA), which are countries of the Schengen Area, and where a visa exemption regime has not been established have to apply for a visa for entering the schengen zone.

Currently, following countries do not need to apply for a visa for entering the Schengen Area: Albania, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Moldova, New Zealand, , Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Unidad Arab Emirates and the United States of America. You can find a full list of countries here.

Where should you apply for a Spanish short stay visa?

Schengen Visa should be requested at the Spanish Consulate of your country of residence. In some countries there are official visa centers, which can also help you to obtain your visa.

The application has to be presented by the applicant personally or by means of an authorized representative. You should also collect your documents either personally of by means of a authorzied repersentative once the visa has been granted.

What documents do you need for a Spanish short stay visa?

You will need to provide follwing documents:

1.) Application form, which can be dowloaded from here;

2.) Passport (or other travel docment), with at least 2 free pages and a validity of at least 3 months as of the date of the intented departure from the Schengen Area;

3.) your passport-type photographies and allow collection of your fingerprints;

4.) travel medical insurance covering at leas your period of stay;

5.) pay the visa fee (usually EUR 60, EUR 35 for children below 12 years, free for children under 6 years);

6.) provide supporting documents: documents indicating the purpose of the visit, documents in relation to accomodation or proof of sufficient means for covering accomodation, documents indicating that the applicant possesses sufficient means of subsistance for the duration of the stay and for returning of the country of origin, etc.

The Consulate will reply to your application within 15 natural days as of the date of your application. The Consulate is also entitled to request further information from the applicant, in which case the time for reply might be extended up to a maximum of 60 days.

A uniform Schengen visa can be granted for one, two or multiple entries and for a maximum period of 5 years.

What shall I do if my visa application gets rejected?

The rejection of your visa application must be done in writing stating the reasons of such rejection. You would have 1 month for appealing such decision either to the administrative appeal (appeal for reconsideration, called recurso de reposición) at the Consulate or request judicial review at the Madrid Superior Court of Justice (Tribunal Superior de Justicia de Madrid).

Do you need some help with your visa application? Has your request been denied and you want to appeal? Please contact with our professionals for helping you with any questions you might have.

Check out our short video explaining the process below.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *